This week I made a new watercolor painting, based on a photograph I took after it snowed last week. I started planning out the piece with a small study:
It looked pretty good, but there were some problems with the composition: meaning that the way the picture was arranged didn't keep the eye inside the picture plane. I've highlighted the lines of contrast to illustrate this:
Unless you're designing a theater, you don't really want those exit points on the edges. I needed a way to loop the eye back into the painting, leading to the focal point. I did this by connecting the fence to some background trees in the final painting:
As you can see, this works much better. In the end, I think the painting was largely a success. See the final image over in the Gallery.